Egg retrieval and an update

Friday, May 13, 2016

Hi everyone! I have been absent from this bloggy for a little bit. To be quite honest, I haven't had the time or energy to even think about it. I know you guys are dying to hear all about me [sarcasm] so let me rewind…

2 weekends ago we spent both Saturday and Sunday driving 2 hours both ways to our fertility doctor for monitoring appointments. They check hormone levels and look at the follicles in my ovaries. My hormones were skyrocketing despite being on super low dosages of the injectable meds. My doctors were quite worried because with such a high estrogen level mixed with so many follicles, I was at super high risk for Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS). So they continued to turn my dosages down and stopped one of the three meds altogether in hopes that my estrogen would level out, and it never did. I had to make the 2 hour drive both Monday and Tuesday as well then rush straight to work. Finally, on Tuesday (5/3) they told me I was ready to trigger.


What is triggering? Exactly 35 hours before egg retrieval you give yourself a shot of HCG (the pregnancy hormone) to "mature" your follicles and prep the eggs for retrieval. This meant my egg retrieval would officially be Thursday morning. At that point I was so bloated and uncomfortable and just SO ready for those eggs to be OUT.

Thursday morning bright and early we woke up and made the 2 hour drive for the millionth time in the last month. I suffered without breakfast or coffee which was just plain torture. I had an overwhelming calm the whole morning which I know is due to all my prayer warriors! I got changed into my sexy hospital gown and cap, got my IV started, and talked to my doctor and anesthesia team. The last thing I remember is begging my doctor not to get our embryos mixed up because I had heard a story where a Caucasian couple birthed an African American baby across the country and no one knew. They all assured me that would not happen to me, haha.


After retrieval I woke up and the first question I asked was how many eggs they got. 44 eggs! My doctor said she can count on one hand how many patients have had that many! Score!! I felt a little dizzy and nauseous so they made sure I could keep some sprite and crackers down before heading home. I slept the whole way home with a heating pad on my belly and then it was straight to the couch.

The day of retrieval I was in mild discomfort, almost like cramping. The heating pad was a Godsend as well as the pain meds they gave me. I had strict instructions to drink only Gatorade and eat as much salt as possible, all ways of preventing OHSS. I was also started on a medication called Cabergoline to prevent OHSS. I had to weigh myself twice a day to monitor fluid build-up in my abdomen. All was good on day 1...

Day 2 I woke up and felt pretty darn good. However, by night time I was struggling. My belly was SO full and rock hard and I was so uncomfortable. Day 3 it continued to worsen, I was vomiting and so miserable and they wanted me to go to the emergency room. Being the stubborn PA that I am (we are truly the worst patients), I politely declined because I knew all they would do is make me wait 8 hours just to get a bag of fluids. My doctor wanted to see me to check the fluid build-up in my abdomen so Sunday morning we made the miserable drive again which was hell. I felt like pure crap and every bump in the road was excruciating. They did an ultrasound which showed some fluid in my abdomen and my ovaries still huge. I had mild/moderate OHSS [of course I did]. There wasn't enough fluid to drain with a needle which I was actually disappointed about. I wanted immediate relief! Luckily all my electrolytes, liver values, and pancreas values were normal. So back to the couch I went.

The only reassuring thing about the whole situation when I was feeling like pure crap was hearing an update on our embryos every day! They called every morning with an update until day 5 and we have 28 perfect little frozen embabies. Makes it all worth it! My doctor said she has never had a patient have that many perfect embryos to freeze! She said we could be the next Duggars haha! Usually with IVF you shoot for a fresh embryo transfer 5 days after egg retrieval then you freeze all the other embryos. However, with how sick I was my doctors did not want to transfer fresh. They were worried it would just start the whole OHSS process over. I am totally okay with this, as I was not physically or mentally prepared. I thought I would be heartbroken, but I want my body in the best shape possible to transfer a little embryo. So for now I focus on getting healthy and recuperating. We will transfer a frozen embryo in a few months.




I finally returned to work on Tuesday which was a struggle. But today I am finally feeling 99% back to normal! Thank you for all the prayers! We have hopefully made it through the worst and it is only uphill from here!

27 comments :

  1. Oh girl, I am so incredibly sorry you have felt so yucky lately. I'm glad you're finally feeling better now and hopefully that was the worst of it! 44 eggs in your retrieval is so awesome though!! Hopefully good things are coming now! Thinking of you!! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! you've been through a lot lately!! So sorry you got so sick and had some complications. That's nice your body will have time to heal before doing the transfer. So excited for y'all and can't believe you got 28 embryos!!! So does that mean you have 28 healthy embryos that you could transfer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that you have felt so bad after that egg retrieval but so so happy for you and 28 perfect embryos!! xo, Biana

    ReplyDelete
  4. First... Congrats!!! How exciting to have 28 perfect freezer babes! Secondly.. I'm so sorry you felt so bad. I hope you get to feeling 100% soon. So excited for you and what's to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been through so much lately! I hope you have nothing but good news and feel 100% here soon!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! Glad you're feeling better

    xo,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a tough weekend, but so excited that you are moving forward and had such a successful retrieval! Continued prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear the good news!!! Sending lots of good vibes your way that it will continue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite it all, thank the Lord for the 28 embryos! Praying for your health so you can have a smooth transfer!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking such happy thoughts for you! I can't wait to hear more about the journey of those embabies!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry that you had such a tough
    time, but I'm hoping it all works out for your embabies (love that term)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate you had a rough couple of days, but hopefully you're on the up and up. Continuing to keep y'all in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 28 embryos?! Geeze! You guys can probably complete your family without ever having to do another retrieval!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohmygoodness, you are a rock star. Also, go you on 44 eggs!!! :) Hoping you are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry you felt so awful but so happy for all of those eggs!! You go girl! I could feel God's Power all through this post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. 28 embryos?!?!?! That is amazing!!!!! I am so happy for you both to hear that :-) You are so strong girl. Thank you for sharing this journey and yes sometimes we do make the worst patients right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry that you've been feeling bad, but 28 embryos?? That's amazing! I hope you get to feeling 100% soon so you'll have a healthy transfer. I'm glad you do share your journey and bring awareness to this. As always, praying for y'all! -xx Leah || Chasing Texas

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry that it's been so hard on your body but I'm SO happy to hear how well the retrieval went - 28 is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey girl!! I've been absent on here too but I'm glad to hear things are going well- I'm sure the road isn't easy but all those embryos?!?! You go girl! Feel better asap :)

    xo, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh girl, I feel like I could've written this myself...except for the 28 embryos...that's AMAZING!!! I am a wuss and did go to the ER and I remember screaming at every bump in the road. And then I threw up in the cupholders in my husband's truck...um, yuck. Anyway, I know it's disappointing to have to wait, but you'll be so happy you did when you walk into your FET feeling amazing! Your body will be at the perfect place for a pregnancy! So happy for you :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  21. SO, so sorry about the awful pain you were in, but YAY for the 28 embryos! You are amazing! xo, Champagne&Suburbs

    ReplyDelete
  22. This makes my heart SO happy for all the eggs you got!! Seriously smiling so big right now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So so happy that you got so many good frozen embryos!! Sorry you got OHSS my SIL had it with her first egg retrieval and ended up in the hospital for 5 days, so I'm glad you didn't end up there. Hope you're feeling better this week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Reading this post made me instantly smile, I'm so happy for you! I hope you're feeling much better! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  25. So I'm reading this with the knowledge that you are currently pregnant and it just makes tears well up in my eyes. You went through SO much, but what good news there is now! So worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Get the treatment from best infertility doctor in India only from Dr. Sumita Sofat Hospital. The team is expert and professional is treating the infertility in both males and females.

    ReplyDelete
  27. preparing for ivf

    https://ivfsuccessplan.com/about/

    It Starts With the Egg - We provide the best IVF success tips to help you and your partner relax during the IVF process and maximize your chances of getting pregnant.

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design