Contentment

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I read an amazing article the other day about contentment.  Merriam-Webster describes contentment as "the state of being happy and satisfied". We have all been in a phase at some point in our lives when we said, "I will be happy when..." whether it be when I get married, when I have kids, when I graduate, when I lose 5 lbs, when I make more money. Well people, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

This article slapped me right in the face. Our society is constantly jumping from one thing to the next, without taking the time to be still and be content. However, the Bible says, "Where you treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:21). I want my heart to be in the present moment, because that's all we really have. I am so guilty of blaming my bad moods on stress, taking it out on my sweet husband, then using the excuse, "I will be happier and less stressed when I graduate". This is ridiculous! I want to be happy now. I don't want to keep striving to accumulate material possessions. Or wish the next 17 months of my life away until I graduate. I want to soak up these amazingly ordinary moments of newlywed life and be truly present.

This contentment issue is all about our perspective. When we truly become content in the present, we become free of the stress of this world. Let's stop striving for bigger and better, let's embrace where we are NOW!

 

1 comment :

  1. I'm am definitely guilty of wishing the days away, looking forward to next month or next year or when this is over or when that begins. I think being present and happy in the moment is one of the most important things in life. It's all about embracing today! Great post, thank you! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design