Weekending: Charleston part 1!

Monday, August 11, 2014

One of my parents' best friends gave us 3 nights on King Street as a wedding gift and told us to pick the dates! Knowing I had a few weeks off from school, we decided this would be the perfect time. We hit the road when G got off work Thursday. We decided to be "fun" and get a few drinks instead of going to bed when we arrived in Charleston [we are an old married couple already]. We stopped at Proof on King Street where we both got our first Moscow Mule, and it did not disappoint! Those cute copper mugs will be on my wish list for Christmas!


Saturday morning we were up bright and early and ready for breakfast at Toast, our favorite. I decided on eggs benedict and G got a huge omelet! And of course we got coffee and mimosas.

After a few too many mimosas, hubs decided it would be a good idea to buy me a ridiculously overpriced hand-made rose...


Then it was time to explore King Street. And my wallet suffered big time. Living in a small town without any good shopping, I was in Heaven. My favorites were Anthropologie and J. Crew... surprise, surprise. We had a late lunch at Magnolias, which is another one of my favorite spots. I wasn't very hungry so I had the appetizer pimento cheese and G got the tuna melt with collards. We were both so happy. Did I mention that I could live off of pimento cheese? That's the southern in me. We headed back to the hotel and spent a few hours at the rooftop pool then got ready for dinner.


Friday night we had dinner at Husk. I have always heard such great things but had never been, so I made sure to make reservations far in advance! Their bar is in a separate small house and was SO cute. It was all exposed brick and had whiskey barrels everywhere. We enjoyed a few drinks before we walked over for dinner. I had BBQ glazed chicken with grilled scallion relish, smoky butterbean and red pea Hop-n-John. To be honest, I had no idea what to expect when I read this on the menu. But I bit the bullet and it was SO yummy! G had the corneal dusted catfish with pepper mash glazed fried cabbage with sweet corn, charred okra, and bacon-onion marmalade. He loved his too! We got the bacon cornbread skillet to share and holy cow, so amazing.


After dinner we explored Bay Street. We stopped into Wet Willies because I had never been. I loved the "adult slushies" but couldn't stand the constant brain freeze. Next we walked over to the rooftop bar at the Vendue Inn, which we loved! You could see the whole city from our table. Then we stopped at Social Wine Bar for one last glass of champagne. It was SUCH a fun night! We are usually in bed by 10pm so we were so proud of ourselves for being "fun" and staying out semi-late. Best of all, it was so great to spend quality time together. It was the first weekend since our Honeymoon [8 months ago] that we have had school free, just "us" time!


[Sorry for the bad quality iPhone pics. I took my nice camera and had all intentions of taking it around with us. But then was too lazy since it doesn't fit in my clutch :( ]




3 comments :

  1. What a fun time! Can't wait to read your second part. And I definitely love that dress! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you did exactly what you're supposed to in Charleston -- eat and drink!! One of our favorite places for brunch/lunch is Fleet Landing, right on the water and such a cool atmosphere!

    Have you ever seen Katie's blog (http://www.mykeepcalmandcarryon.com/)? They were in Charleston the same weekend y'all were!

    Glad y'all had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for introducing me to a new adorable blog!! hope you are doing great and soaking up the last bit of summer!

      Delete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design