2nd annual Anchor Run

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Happy Wednesday friends! I am so glad hurricane Irma is gone and I am still just so saddened by the damage these two hurricanes have caused. It is heartbreaking to see how many people lost everything. The only bright side to all this sadness is how our country has come together to help those in need. It has warmed my heart to see people put their differences aside and just love each other. My dad just got word yesterday that his house in Key West sustained minor damage so we are very thankful for that.

++

This past Sunday we volunteered and participated in the 2nd annual Anchor Run in memory of sweet Georgia who lost her life to leukemia in December of 2015. We are friends with Georgia's family and losing her really just rocked our hearts and our entire town. Through Georgia's treatments her mom Amber clung to the bible verse Hebrews 6:19: "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure". Amber and Georgia made necklaces together while she was hospitalized during treatments and after she passed away Amber started Anchor Beads as a form of therapy and 10% of proceeds are given to childhood cancer research. My little sister nannies for Amber and helps her with Anchor Beads so this family and this event is very near and dear to our hearts.

Last year's Anchor Run raised so much money for childhood cancer research that Amber decided to make it a yearly event. This year $30,000 was raised to help fight childhood cancer, how amazing is that?! It was such an awesome day honoring sweet Georgia and her family.

Me, my little sister, and Georgia's mom Amber
Vivi and Ruthie, Georgia's little sister, are two months apart and are already best buds

8 comments :

  1. What a special even for a special little girl. Next year I will definitely join in on this run! (but my butt will be walking ha!) So glad that you all have this and are so close with her family. I know sweet Georgia was smiling down on all of y'all, and I like to think Donna is up there in heaven with all the little children keeping them company until their own mamas and daddies reunite with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Way to go and what a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cause--and so fun that you did it together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic cause and event to be a part of. I love the logos they created, too.

    Meg, Borrowed Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome the house only had minor wind damage!! I hope they can rebuild everything soon but I can't even imagine trying to start that project. What a great cause and that's so awesome they were able to raise so much money!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing cause and so much love for sweet Georgia and her beautiful mama! I love my Anchor Beads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How amazing and I was totally crying just *reading* that story. I kept thinking about your dad's Key West house whenever they would talk about Key West on the news; so thankful there's only minor damage, even though that will still be so much to take care of. My heart has been SO heavy these last few weeks hearing about the hurricanes and all the people who have lost so much, but you're exactly right: so thankful for the way that our country came together. I'm hoping this trend sticks around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i'm so glad that your dad's house was ok! i was thinking of everyone in the keys. what a weekend. and this race is so lovely. what a great cause for a sweet girl.

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design