Homemade Baby Food

Thursday, September 28, 2017


I am 1.5 months into the baby food making journey and so far I have really enjoyed it. I love the fact that I know exactly what she is getting, which is organic fruits and veggies mixed with water. No additives, preservatives, etc. Also, it saves so much money! It is a little bit time consuming but if you set aside an hour a weekend, you can knock out a few batches that will last you weeks. I found a few blog posts very helpful when I was first starting out so I thought someone else may find my tips helpful.

So far I have made:
sweet potatoes
butternut squash
broccoli
green beans
pears
apples
avocado
peas
carrots
peaches
blueberries
pineapple
prunes
mango

To prepare the fruits and vegetables I clean, peel, then chop them into cubes if needed (butternut squash, carrots, apples, sweet potatoes, etc.). Then I throw them in this steamer over a pot of boiling water until they can be pierced easily with a fork. Then into the Baby Bullet they go. For the soft fruits and veggies like avocado and peaches, I just put them directly into the Baby Bullet without steaming them. Honestly, if you don't have a Baby Bullet already, you don't need to go out and buy one. Any high powered blender would work just fine but we were gifted one and have used the heck out of it. Plus I really like the containers and gadgets that came with it.


Once the fruit/vegetable is in the Baby Bullet, add some water. Always start with a little because you can add more if needed but you can't take any out if you make it too thin. For the vegetables that I steam, I add the water from the boiling pot. I blend and keep adding water until at desired consistency. Then the purees go into these baby food storage trays and into the freezer. Once frozen, I pop them out of the trays and put them in labeled ziplock bags. They will stay good in the freezer for 6 months. Every night I decide what I want her to eat the next day and I take cubes out of the freezer and put them into individual containers and into the refrigerator to thaw for the next day. The food stays good in the fridge for 3 days. So easy!


We started out with sweet potatoes and every three days we added a new fruit or vegetable to make sure she wasn't allergic. We also started with just one "meal" a day which consisted of two cubes of a vegetable at dinner time. Then we added two cubes for lunch and then two cubes for breakfast. Now she gets three "meals" a day, each consisting of about six cubes, usually three different fruits or veggies at each meal.


A typical day of purees for Vivi looks something like this:
Breakfast: prunes, pears, mango
Lunch: broccoli, butternut squash, apples
Dinner: peas, carrots, sweet potatoe

Veteran mamas, what tips would you add?! What other fruits or veggies should I introduce?

14 comments :

  1. I absolutely adored making my boys' baby food! I loved knowing what was in them and it was fun to me. My boys loved quinoa mixed with sweet potatoes and squash. (Just make it like normal on the stove and puree with a bit of chicken broth.) I seriously would puree anything: blueberries, strawberries, banana (would just mash that up), avocado (same -- just mash), peaches, green peas, etc. Anything that we would eat and I could puree, I would! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to know any blender will work :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use these same process (same trays!) but use my food processor. I also get a rotisserie chicken and shred it in the processor and E loves that! I've also started mixing the fruits together so I'll add apples to raspberries so that it's not so sour and I'll mix her chicken in with peas and carrots just to mix up the flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! Thanks for sharing - I'm definitely going to save this for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be helpful for me soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely want to try making my own baby food for the exact reasons you said! Saving this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am saving this post for future reference!! Awesome job - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you shared - I'll be coming back to this in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've loved making Charlotte's food, too! We've tried a few of the organic HappyBaby/Plum Organics pouches for when we're out and on the go (she loves these) but when we're home, I'm serving her homemade purees! Charlotte's favorites are butternut squash, apples, blueberries and avocado, but we've also added spices here and there just to introduce them, and that's gone over really well, too! Some of the combos that we've tried (and she's loved) have been:

    blueberry + chickpea
    blueberry + apple + spinach (steam apple and blueberries, toss spinach in at the end just to wilt, and puree)
    sweet potato roasted with a dash of cinnamon then pureed
    apples + cinnamon (simmer then puree - your house will smell amazing haha)
    zucchini + peas + fresh basil

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, i am expecting at this moment. but i am sure i would want to try this once my baby is ready to eat :)
    thanks for the share.Organic Baby Food 24

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its look like good one that can fulfill the promises in baby food preparation and storage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi
    thank you so much for sharing this information with us.The baby food items you have shown here are very delicious and healthy.FOr more Related information about the baby food you can visit Ready Made Organic Baby Food Online

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design