Thoughts for Thursday: Home

Thursday, February 26, 2015

I have always been a homebody. Like, even when on vacation I would feel homesick and want to go home. It's kind of a joke in my family now… they all make fun of me for always wanting to be at home. Home is my happy place. And "home" took on a whole new meaning when I got married.

My husband and I decided not to live together until we were married so we timed it so that our new house would be finished right before the wedding. Well our wedding night was my very first time sleeping in our new home [he had been there a few weeks already]. The day after our wedding I woke up and felt an unsettling feeling. Where am I? This is not my home. I feel so homesick.

We went across town to my mom's house to get the last of my things and permanently "move me" into our new house and those feelings got 10x worse. It hit me like a ton of bricks that I will likely never spend the night at my parents' house again, being that we now live in the same town. Confession: I burst into tears as we drove away from my mom's house. I know, I know, embarrassing right? It was the day after my wedding and I am crying to my husband of 12 hours because I am officially leaving my "real home". But this was a huge change for me!

I texted my cousin and told her how ridiculous I was feeling and her response: "I felt the exact same way when I got married but pretty soon Garrett will feel like your home and you will only get homesick for him." Her words couldn't have been more true. I have realized that home is truly where your heart is. I could live in a cardboard box and as long as Garrett is there with me, it would feel like home. And that is how I know that he is my person. He is my home.


Linking up with Annie

22 comments :

  1. I love this!! I had the same kind of feelings.. It was hard to move into a new house without my MoM… Its funny when I get sick all I want is my mom and my husband thinks it is so weird lol.. Your wedding pic is amazing :)
    Happy Thursday Chelsea @ thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I am the exact same way! Definitely a mama's girl… they make everything better! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love this post!! I am the exact same way! I never really spent the night with friends growing up - always preferred to be home! I didn't move into our new home until after we got married & I remember feeling emotional just packing up my stuff lol I agree, home does become wherever your husband is! I love that quote!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the exact same way!! So glad I'm not the only one :) Xoxo

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you! Every time we go on vacation, we're so ready to get back home. My parents house is the only place I can stay an extended period of time (with my husband of course, because I'd miss him) and not miss being home. Home is definitely where your heart is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not the only one :) No matter how old I am I will always consider my parent's house "home"!

      Delete
  4. I am a homebody also but I know home is where the heart is because I had no fears leaving my family on the west coast and moving to the east coast to be with my husband. He was the only person I knew, but I knew he was the one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww this post is so sweet.. and so true!! And love that picture of y'all too.. you dress is gorgeous! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!! Wish I could do that day over and over… can't wait for you to experience it! Xoxo

      Delete
  7. I moved out to my own apartment before my husband and I got married. He was driving me "home" to my apartment after spending the evening at my parent's house and I ugly cried the whole way to the apartment when my mom closed the garage door on me. She didn't do it to be ugly or anything, but just closed it for the night. I totally get what you're saying. It takes awhile before a new place can be "home."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not the only one ;) home will always be with our parents, no matter how old we are! Xoxo

      Delete
  8. Growing up I was always a homebody, I would go to summer camp and literally get sick and have to go home (sinus infection, stomach bug, etc) Even when I got older and went to study abroad I still got sick and missed being at home. I've gotten a little better now and love going away, but I have to have my "home" with me or I will be homesick. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the exact same way!! I dreaded the thought of summer camp haha, I guess not much has changed ;)

      Delete
  9. I can relate to every word of this post, I was the exact same way! It's an amazing feeling to create that same "home" feeling with our husbands now! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Glad I'm not the only one ;) So glad to have found your cute blog… looks like we live semi-close in NC! Xoxo

      Delete
  10. LOVE this post! My husband and I didn't move into our new house until after the wedding either (well like your husband did, mine did a few days before!) and when we got back from the honeymoon I think I cried once a day for a week :-/ I cried the day I moved out (15 minutes away) of my parents house but now I'm loving newlywed life and Mom's just a quick drive away :) glad I found your blog! Just started following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not the only one!! Thanks so much for reading, your blog is so cute! Can't wait to read along! XOxo

      Delete
  11. I love everything about this post!! I had different but similar thoughts. It was strange to think that it would be different when I went home!! But Yep, my Hubbles is my home now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a huge change, but a great change! I love married life :) Xoxo

      Delete
  12. This is such a sweet post. I was always a homebody who felt ill before having to go to a new friend's house for a play date. Somewhere along the lines of me moving to college, I tried to move past that. But when I moved out of my one bedroom apartment into a 2 bedroom with DG, I was a MESS for weeks. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design