Recent Reads

Thursday, August 24, 2017

I don't know about you, but I love getting book recommendations from someone who has already read it so I don't waste my precious free time reading a terrible book. I honestly look forward to crawling into bed at night and diving into a good book. Here are my most recent reads!

++



By Jodi Picoult

"In nineteen minutes you can mow the front lawn, color your hair, watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist. You can fold laundry for a family of five... In nineteen minutes you can stop the world or you can just jump off it. In nineteen minutes you can get revenge." This book is about a 17-year-old high school student who has endured years of physical and verbal abuse from his classmates and he is finally pushed over the edge and commits an act of violence at his school. It is a great read. Emotional and thought provoking.



By Liane Moriarty

"A brilliant take on ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and the dangerous little lies we tell ourselves just to survive." An entertaining book about three very different women who all have children at the same school. Someone ends up dead but it isn't your typical murder novel! A must read and now I'm dying to see the tv series.



By Kristy Woodson Harvey

A great southern novel about a mother whose 3 grown daughters move back in with her in a small beach town. They are all going through personal struggles and trying to find the balance between love, family, work,  etc. This book has lots of twists and turns and keeps you on your toes! It really reminded me of my family since I am one of 3 sisters. Would read again!



By Laura Story

Such a great read by Christian singer Laura Story about her husband being diagnosed with a brain tumor. She talks about how their "picture perfect" life was shattered and how her perspective changed when she realized that God may not fix everything. I highly recommend this book for anyone who has lost someone they love or is currently going through hardships.



By Vanessa Diffenbaugh

A story about a mom who is working three jobs to make ends meet while her mom raises her children. Her parents decide to return to Mexico and she has to step up and become a mom for the first time in her life. A pretty good book about young love, family, and hard choices.



By William Kent Krueger

A story about a teenage boy who experiences multiple deaths in his town in a summer. It is told from his perspective forty years after all the events of that summer. It has a lot of characters which I don't really like because it gets confusing. It took my forever to read this book because I couldn't get into it but it starts to get really good about halfway through. I would recommend it.

++

If you missed my last recent reads post, you can catch it here!

10 comments :

  1. I loved that Liane Moriarty book you recommended (The Husband's Secret) so I'll have to try this one! I really like her writing style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read nineteen minutes years ago, it was great! I am ordering "When God doesn't fix it" like right this minute. Definitely sounds like something I need to read (and patrick but I doubt that will happen).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slightly South of Simple is on my list! Can't wait to check out the others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Jodi Picoult. My favorite book of hers was The Storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slightly South of Simple and When God Doesn't Fix It are both on my list! I just finished Nantucket Sisters- cute, super easy beach read :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big Little Lies is such an excellent book and the TV series is one of the few I can say translated so well from page to screen! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, all of these sound so good!! I'm going to have to check them all out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love me some Jodi Picoult! Have you ever read My Sisters Keeper? One of my faves!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so loved Big Little Lies! As a former teacher, I totally felt for the teacher in the book! The series was awesome - very graphic seeing some of the scenes play out, and I feel they totally rushed the last episode/the conclusion to the story, but it's definitely worth watching :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these sound great - I'm really intrigued by slightly south of simple!

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design