Kitchen: before and after!

Thursday, May 17, 2018

When we first walked into what is now our home for the first time, I couldn't get over how ugly and dark the kitchen was. I mean that backsplash?? Ew! Garrett kept saying over and over to focus on the "bones" of the home and that we could make some cosmetic changes. I'm not a "fixer upper" type so this was hard for me but I trusted that the kitchen could be made drastically better with a few updates.

The one thing I majorly compromised on in our home search was a kitchen island. I realllllly wanted one but we just could not find a house we loved with an island. I also really wanted white granite but again, we just couldn't find it. We considered replacing this granite but decided that since this isn't our forever home, it would be a huge waste of money. It's amazing how much lighter the granite looks with the cabinets painted and the backsplash replaced! 

Our counter will eventually have bar stools (if I can ever find any I like) and I plan to change the light fixture. We had to purchase a new dishwasher right after moving in even though the previous owner said it worked perfectly for him. Must have broken the night before we moved in (insert eye roll emoji). I'd also love to update the microwave and oven but they work perfectly fine so we will keep them for now.

Finding the perfect subway tile was such a pain! We went through so many stores before finally finding the color and shape we wanted with finished edges and no bullnose edges. The tiles are hand made so they don't lay perfectly flat which I was hesitant about but it gives it a neat touch. I am super happy with the paint color we chose for the cabinets which is Sherwin Williams Dover White.

What I learned through this process: I will never buy a fixer upper. My nerves could hardly handle these few cosmetic updates and I haaaate making these design decisions.

Before:


During:


After:


Do you like tackling home renovations or are you a "move-in ready" kind of gal like myself?

++


Grab the button below and link up to Annie, Natalie and Owen on your Thoughts for Thursday post.
Use #thoughtsforthursdays on Instagram and tag us @homeofmalones, @eastcoastnat and @mrsordavis. Link up starts at 7 am EST.
Follow us on Bloglovin’ too:

30 comments :

  1. Looks so good! It’s anazing how much lighter the counter tops look now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a transformation! Looks great.
    www.thesweetestclementine.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good, friend! Clearly I'm not a fixer-upper gal because our bathroom about did me in. We had that same old backsplash in our old house y'all had previously and be glad you changed it -- it was SO hard to keep clean (spaghetti sauce splashes especially...!). We have white subway tile in our new house and I love how easily it wipes off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so good!! The cabinets and backsplash brighten up the space and make it look so much bigger (but you know I'm partial to white kitchens)! And I'm totally with you on the fixer-uppers.. I will NEVER! Getting/decorating a new house was stressful enough.

    xo, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how a fresh color and/or a coat of paint can change things! I like the subway tiles too! Your kitchen looks amazing now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! We bought new white cabinets and ADORE THEM. Subway tile is my jam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how different the granite looks with the white cabinets and backsplash! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so nice and bright! Love that you added some glass front cabinets too. I HATE doing updates. When we redid our kitchen it was pre-pinterest and let's just say I made a ton of mistakes that I would do over in a new york minute if my husband wouldn't kill me! It's been 10 years though so maybe I'll talk him into it eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! So nice and airy. You did a great job.
    Our kitchen is AWFUL. It's straight from the 70s. This isn't our forever home either though, so we are not doing any updates, as we feel it'd be a waste of money. We don't want to drop money fixing it up, only to sell the house and have new owners hate what we did and tear it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great update! Love the wall color, would you mind sharing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so good! I'm totally showing my husband the before and after pics to convince him to take the final step to have our cabinets painted white! We have dark granite and dark cabinets from the previous owner and you cannot beat how bright and fresh a white kitchen looks - so pretty :) And I love the glass-front cabinets - such a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the white! It looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Owen!! This turned out so beautiful - I love that you chose white! This post makes me want to get the ball rolling on a backsplash in our kitchen ;) Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's crazy what a couple updates can do to the whole home! I'm definitely a move in ready kind of person, especially now with a baby. One thing I will not tolerate in any future home is tile counters, which we currently have. Thankfully we're moving next month after 5 years of living with a kitchen I don't love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. GORGEOUS!!!!! We have your original backsplash in our kitchen and I am jealous of your new tile!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm. Not sure what happened to my first comment but I love how your kitchen turned out! It's so bright and airy!

    https://thehashtagbasicblogger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gahhhhhhh!!!! The kitchen looks AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your kitchen looks great! I love the cabinet color!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so good! I'm right there with ya, I love watching Fixer Upper, but I'm soooo not a remodel type of gal ha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The space turned out beautiful! I love how bright the room looks now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ahhh looks soooo bright and airy!! i love it!! we intended to be the move-in ready type this last time around but ended up with a lot more work on our hands. haha! oh well!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks amazing!! I love that you shared the before too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You guys did such a great job brightening up the space! Love how it turned out! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am seriously dying over how your kitchen turned out! You did such an amazing job! It’s so bright and modern now but still very chic! Can you come decorate my place?? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous kitchen!! It turned out so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's amazing how much some white paint and updated back splash can completely transform a kitchen!! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks so good! Isn't it amazing how a few "small" changes can completely change a space?? Love all your choices for the remodel!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Get your lover back urgent effective love spell to win and get ex back my advise reveal you all to contact Dr Ogudugu for a genuine love spell on greatogudugu@gmail.com that work fast. here is my relationship story. my boyfriend told me it was over and walk away without any reasons, I was confuse and didn't know what to do. I was desperate, I want him back, I went over the internet looking for ways to get my boyfriend back. I read about many different ways of how to get ex back, but Dr Ogudugu caught my attention. I immediately contacted him and explained my problem to him. It was amazing and surprising that 11hrs after the urgent love spell was cast, my boyfriend called me and was begging me to forgive him and accept him back, Couldn't believe, but later after he came to my house and fell on his knees asking me to take him back am so happy that my love is back again. I am testifying on this forum just to let people know that Dr Ogudugu is real and genuine. don't hesitate to try him out. thank you Dr Ogudugu you are truly talented and gifted genuine spell caster. Contact him now if you need your girlfriend/boyfriend back or your girlfriend moved on to another man, do not cry anymore .. Dr Ogudugu is here to help out in relationship problem coz problem share is problem solve.
    Email him at.... greatogudugu@gmail.com
    whatsapp...+27663492930

    ReplyDelete
  30. All thanks to the great Priest Dr bow for helping me restore back my marriage when i taught all hope was lost.,this Priest helped me, and my relationship is now perfect. Contact for any spiritual work  (@Drbowsolutionhome1) Your partner will definitely love you email him Drbowsolutionhome@gmail.com or whatapp him +2348121786772

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design